Whether it is for work, placement or networking, dressing in corporate style is almost a full-time job on its own. So, I did my research and I came across this ‘fashion formula’. Mixing this formula with my own personal experience, I created this ‘how-to’ guide on dressing for success.
Factors to consider
- Daily schedule: Will it be a sedentary day in the office or, as is more likely in my profession, will it be a day out on the oval teaching a sports lesson? By dressing to suit your day’s agenda, you will be comfortable and prevent the stress of having to adjust your clothing while you are in the middle of something important!
- Variety: If your wardrobe is full of corporate clothing and it’s simply a matter of choosing what to wear on any particular day, choose the dress or shorts over the likes of the pants you wore the day before (weather permitting). If you work with children, I can assure you they will still remember the pink blazer you wore previously and what day you wore it! You will find yourself repeatedly having to answer whether pink is your favourite colour, just because you wore it more than once in a week!
- Something special: Some of us have that one accessory that always seems to lift our spirits, whether this is a piece of jewellery or a favourite pair of shoes. If this isn’t you, maybe now is the time to spoil yourself with something new. A confidence booster is the key to unlocking success in your day!
- Weather: Take a look outside your bedroom window and check out the Weatherzone app before you get dressed to point you in the right direction. This is especially important in winter when the number of layers to be worn is always a significant decision!
- Get to know the Dress Code: Pay attention to the people within the environment you are in as some workplaces require more or less ‘professional dress’ than others. You will feel much more relaxed if you feel as though you fit in with those around you.
Consider the outfit as a whole: Don’t be like me and forget about planning what shoes or jewellery you are going to wear until you go to walk out the door and realise you haven’t done this. After finding ‘the fashion formula’, I will now be using this as a checklist when organising corporate attire!
- Plan your outfits for the week on weekends, to save yourself from the frantic ironing you have to do with only five minutes before you need to leave. Tuesday’s outfit can always be swapped with Friday’s if need be… as my Mum would say ‘it feels better to be organised!’
- The underlying element of dressing corporate style is comfort. If you aren’t comfortable, the other factors are likely to have a domino effect!
- Create fun out of putting together your professional look. Embrace it and own it!
| 1 Basic (Black Top)+ 1 Interest (Patterned Skirt)
+ 1 Completer Piece (Bright Jacket)
+ Accessories (Necklace & Shoes)